Saturday, August 16, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken (....and then Chicken Corn Chowder)

I cooked a whole chicken in the slow cooker this week.  It was my first time cooking a whole chicken this way....I reviewed a bunch of recipes first and I combined them and made up my own recipe and method.  I cut up an onion and laid it in the bottom of the slow cooker.  I placed the chicken on top of the onion and then covered it with another onion, sliced garlic, dried rosemary, salt and pepper.  Right before turning on the slow cooker I added about a cup of water.

The chicken barely fit in the slow cooker - I had to rearrange the bits of onion on top a few times so that the lid would fit.  I left the chicken to cook on low about 6 hours and when I came back to it the chicken and onions had browned and the slow cooker was nearly full of broth.  I used silicone-tipped tongs (2 sets) to lift the chicken carefully out of the pot, and, despite my care, it came apart when I lifted it.  I put it into a dish and then placed it under the broiler for about 4 minutes to crisp up the skin.  I preserved the lovely broth.

We had a nice supper, but overall I was not pleased with how this chicken came out.  It had that slow cooker meat issue - it fell off the bone but was still dry in texture.  The skin was crispy and flavourful.  Also the broth was perfect - tasty and rich.

The best part of the slow cooker chicken was the chicken corn chowder I made a couple of days later - it was wonderful with fresh cheddar biscuits.

The raw chicken.

Nicely brown.
Oh no - broken chicken!

Browned chicken.

Rich broth.

A nice supper overall even if the chicken wasn't perfect.

This chicken corn chowder was perfect - it made the whole exercise worthwhile!



No comments:

Post a Comment